The sensational three-piece music group Chvrches has its origin in Glasgow, Scotland. The trio became known in the UK with the release of their debut EP Recover EP in March 2013, just two years after their formation. The band cemented their status with the release of their debut album The Bones of What You Believe in September 2013, which included their first official single “The Mother We Share”, which was well-received in the UK and beyond. Following their success this year, Chvrches finished 5th in the BBC’s annual “Sound of 2013” music survey and has remained consistent ever since. Their second album “Every Open Eye” was released in 2015 and their third album “Love Is Dead” was released three years later.
This Scottish music band was originally founded as a studio project in September 2011. The band consists of Iain Cook, Martin Doherty, and Lauren Mayberry. Cook and Doherty had met a few years earlier during their studies and had performed together in a rock band called Aereogramme. Mayberry joined them much later in September 2011.
The trio began by writing and recording their own songs in a basement studio, and when they finally decided to perform as a group, Mayberry was chosen as lead singer and frontwoman due to her exceptional vocal abilities. Doherty performs as a backing vocalist and sometimes lead vocalist, while Cook mainly sings backing vocals.
The Members of Chvrches
Iain Andrew Cook was born in November 1974 in Glasgow, Scotland. He is a music composer, producer, and singer. In addition to his duties as a member of Chvrches, he also composes songs for film and television. As a young adult Cook performed under the name Johnny Dymes for a music group called Les Tinglies. He co-founded the rock band Aereogramme in 1998, which released up to 4 studio albums before they split in 2007. Between 2008 and 2012 he was also a member of another rock band – The Unwinding Hours.
Martin Clifford Doherty was born in December 1982. A multi-instrumentalist, he plays keyboard, sampler, and guitar. In the 90s he toured with the rock band The Twilight Sad, later he became the lead singer of another rock band – Julia Thirteen (1999-2006). During his studies at the University of Strathclyde, he met Iain Cook and joined his band – Aereogramme.
Lauren Eve Mayberry was born in October 1987. She is a singer and songwriter and the lead singer of Chvrches. She plays drums and keyboard equally. Before becoming involved in music, Mayberry studied law at the University of Strathclyde, followed by a master’s degree in journalism. She worked as a freelance journalist for a short period of time before founding the group Chvrches with Iain Cook and Martin Doherty at the end of 2011.
Facts About The Band
1. chvrches recorded up to 9 singles in the first months of their collaboration. The first of these singles, “Lies”, they released in May 2012 via a blog. The single was well-received as it was aired regularly on both SoundCloud and BBC Radio 1.
2. The band had their first official live performance at the Glasgow School of Art in July 2012, attracting the attention of several record companies.
3. They released their first official single “The Mother We Share” in November 2012, followed by another single “Recover” in February 2013. “Recover” was included in the band’s debut EP Recover EP, which was released in March 2013, while “The Mother We Share” became the lead single off their debut album The Bones of What You Believe, which was released in September 2013.
4. The band started in 2013 with a tour and a series of international performances. They finally returned to the studios in early 2015 to begin work on their second studio album. The album Every Open Eye was released in September 2015 and climbed to the top of the music charts in their home country Scotland and also in the USA.
5. For their third studio album, Chvrches worked with producers such as Greg Kurstin and Steve Mac, and it was the first time an outsider had contributed to their music. The album Love Is Dead received positive reviews after its release in May 2018 and, similar to its predecessor, topped the charts of Billboard Top Alternative albums and Billboard Top Rock Albums. At number 11 on the Billboard 200, the album also reached a top position.