Eric Prydz, also known as Cirez D and Pryda, is a disc jockey, music producer, and record producer. It is very likely that his name is more popular than his face, as he has an uncanny aversion to all forms of advertising, coupled with the fact that he rarely appears in his own music videos.
The Swedish-born music star came into the international spotlight when his platinum-certified hit single “Call on Me” was released in 2004. He dropped another international hit “Proper Education” in 2007, which earned him a Grammy nomination, followed by another chart-topper, “Pjanoo” in 2008.
After a long wait, Prydz blessed his fans with the release of his first studio album “Opus” in February 2016. This versatile music star has received several well-deserved awards over the course of his career, including DJ of the Year at the Electronic Music Awards 2017.
Eric Prydz (Cirez D) Bio
Eric Sheridan Prydz was born on July 19, 1976. He was born in the parish of Täby in Stockholm County, Sweden. He started making music around the turn of the century but remained under the radar until 2004 when he dropped the dance music title “Call on Me”, a sampling of the song “Valerie” sung by Steve Winwood in 1982.
“Call on Me” was a massive commercial success that found its way into the international music charts in both Europe and the USA. It was at number 1 in the British single charts for 5 weeks and also led the German Top 100 for 6 weeks. Strangely enough, Prydz distanced himself from the popularity that came with his breakout single, and it is said that he no longer plays the song at his shows.
In 2006 he started working on another single “Proper Education”, a remixed version of Pink Floyd’s 1979 song “Another Brick in the Wall, Part II”, which was recorded with massive commercial success after its international release on January 1st, 2007. The song topped both the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play Charts and the UK Dance Album Chart. At the 50th Grammy Awards, it finally received a nomination in the category “Best Remixed Recording”.
In August 2008 Prydz dropped another hit single “Pjanoo”, which led the UK Dance Chart for 10 weeks in a row and also climbed to #2 in the UK Singles Chart. However, he could not repeat this level of success with his subsequent song releases – “2Night” (2011), “Niton (The Reason)” (2011), and “Every Day” (2012).
In May 2012 Eric Prydz released an 11-track compilation album, Eric Prydz Presents Pryda, a compilation of songs he recorded between 2004 and 2008 under the name Pryda. He started working on his debut album in 2014, but by 2015 he had already released three EPs: Pryda 10 Vol I, Pryda 10 Vol II, and Pryda 10 Vol III.
Prydz’s highly anticipated debut studio album Opus was released on February 5, 2016. The album consisted of 19 titles, including “Every Day”, “Liberate”, “Generate”, “Opus” and many others. The album reached the top of the British dance album charts and the Billboard Dance/Electronic album charts in the USA. It also reached the top of the US Billboard 200 charts.
Among its most recent efforts is the EP Elements, which was released in May 2018.
Things To Know About The Swedish DJ
1. In addition to releasing his own original songs, Eric Prydz has also recorded remixed versions of countless songs, including Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Calvin Harris’ 2009 single “Flashback”. He collaborated with the British band CHVRCHES’S on the single “Tether”, which was released in 2015.
2. Eric Prydz was a member of the music supergroup “Swedish House Mafia”, a group of Swedish DJs. Prydz and the other members of the group – Axwell, Steve Angello, and Sebastian Ingrosso – performed together regularly in the mid-2000s, and the name “Swedish House Mafia” was first coined in March 2007.
3. When the group decided to officially adopt the name in November 2008, Prydz left the group. However, he worked with various members of the group on several projects.
4. Eric Prydz runs 3 record companies: Pryda, Mouseville Records, and Pryda Friends. On Pryda, he releases music as Pryda, while on Mousvulle Records he releases his music under the alias “Cirez D”.
5. He was named DJ of the Year at the first Electronic Music Awards in September 2017. The Swedish-born music star was also nominated for the Live Act of the Year Award.
6. Prydz lives in Los Angeles, California. He is said to have a fear of flying, which is why he does most of his touring by land.