After the success that European DJs like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, and DJ Tiesto have had in the American music industry, some disc jockeys from the continent have tried to penetrate the market. One of these people who seems to have done so successfully is DJ Snake, who is best known for producing hits like “Bird Machine”, “Turn Down For What” and “Taki Taki” among many others. Read on to find out more about the career of the multiple award-winning music producer.
Who is DJ Snake? (Bio, Age)
DJ Snake was born William Sami Étienne Grigahcine on June 13, 1986, in Paris, France. Details of his early life and educational background are not available, but it is known that he grew up in the Parisian banlieue of Ermont.
As a young boy Snake was interested in art, especially graffiti. It is known that he produced much of it in the French capital, which put him on the police radar. When he turned 14, he changed the art form and left graffiti art to music, which was not illegal. At first, he worked as a DJ in various Parisian clubs, before he went into production at the age of 19 at the suggestion of his manager.
DJ Snake remained relatively unknown for several years until his production skills caught the attention of the multi-talented, award-winning singer Lady Gaga. He produced the American singer’s album Born This Way for 2011, which received a Grammy Award nomination for Album of the Year. To broaden his horizons even further, this brilliant music producer put his skills to the test by remixing some songs by some popular artists. Among the songs he remixed and which were well received by the public was “Bubble Butt” by Major Lazer, “New Slaves” by Kanye West, “It’s You” by Duck Sauce, “You Know You Like It” by AlunaGeorge, and “Move Your Feet” by Junior Senior.
Two years after producing a Grammy-nominated album with Gaga, they returned to the studio in 2013, and he helped co-produce three songs; “Applause”, “Sexxx Dreams” and “Do What U Want” on their ARTPOP album. That same year, he worked with Atlanta-based hip-hop artist Lil Jon on the multiple platinum-winning hit “Turn Down For What”. The following year, DJ Snake again used his skills to help produce the hit “Lean On” with MØ and Diplo’s Major Lazer. Like “Turn Down For What”, “Lean On” sold millions of copies and appeared in various billboard charts. This helped him to get an invitation to the Coachella Music Festival 2015, where he performed. The rest became, as they say, history.
DJ Snake Net Worth
According to several sources for calculating celebrity assets, DJ Snake, who was nominated for two Grammy Awards and managed to win an MTV Video Music Award and a Billboard Music Award, has net assets of $8 million. While he has been able to take care of himself very well so far. The French citizen still has a long way to go to catch up with the financial achievements of other famous DJs like Steve Aoki, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, and Avicii among others.
The DJ with the brown eye color stands at an impressive height of 6 feet 1 inch. According to reports he also weighs about 73 kg (161 pounds). The DJ stands taller than several other DJs in the industry, including Tiesto, who stands 5 feet 11 inches, and Skrillex, who stands 5 feet 3 inches tall.
Other Facts About Him
1. The identity of his parents is not known, but it is known that he is the son of Algerian immigrant parents in France
2. DJ Snake received his name as a small boy in the streets of Paris. It is said that as a small boy he was always able to elude the police, who wanted to arrest him for his graffiti artwork. His ability to always evade arrest earned him the nickname of the slippery reptile. The music producer has since spoken about his aversion to the name, but he still calls him that.
3. At the 2015 Coachella Music Festival in Coachella, DJ Snake performed “Lean On” and his remix of AlunaGeorge’s “You Know You Like It”, two songs that were among the top 10 Shazamed songs of the music festival.
4. Snake is part of a collective of French DJs called Pardon My French, along with three other DJs, Tchami, Mercer, Malaa. The group has successfully toured extensively, and Snake himself has benefited from its popularity by collaborating with denim brand Levi’s to create a limited edition trucker jacket.
5. In January 2016, he was named “30 under 30 in music” by Forbes business magazine.