To have a successful career as a DJ in the entertainment industry, you need to master sounds and understand how music works technically. Having a good ear for sounds will definitely go a long way in a career like this one, and Bassnectar, with the level of success he has achieved so far, can rightly be said to have these qualities. Today he is one of the most recognized DJs in the music industry. We examine his life and career path to date and some interesting facts about the American DJ.
Bassnectar – Bio
DJ Bassnectar was born on February 16, 1978, as Lorin Ashton. He was born in Santa Cruz, California, and spent most of his childhood in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not much is known about his parents and siblings. The same is true of his high school, but it was not until he was a teenager that he began to develop an affinity for music.
It was reported that his interest in music was awakened after an uncle gave him Latin American and African music to listen to. When he was 16 years old, he joined a metal band called Pale Existence. During his performances with the band, he met a variety of musicians and their music genres; the musicians happened to give the young Lorin a warm welcome.
While he was in the band, Lorin began buying records and learning how to play disc jockey with them. His fame began to grow and word of his skills spread, and in the mid-1990s he took the stage name DJ Lorin and played at small house parties and small shows in his area.
When it came time for him to graduate, Lorin Ashton decided that a degree in electronic music would be a wise step in his musical endeavors. So in 1996, he went to the University of California, where he majored in Community Studies and minored in Electronic Music.
The biggest boost for Bassnectar’s career as an aspiring DJ was the annual concert Burning Man, which takes place in the Black Rock Desert. During the concert in 2000, he sometimes played 7 sets per night, which increased his fan base and made his music noticed by people who are important in the music industry. One of these people was Perry Farrell, the lead singer of the band Jane’s Addiction, who is known for founding the music festival Lollapalooza. Perry Farrell hired Lorin to work on the album Spearhead, and just like that, all the years Bassnectar had spent refining his craft as a musician began to pay off.
Since then, Lorin Ashton has created more than five albums and eight EPs and has worked with other artists on their music. He has made a career that can boast of enormous success.
Bassnectar’s net assets are currently estimated at $26 million. This amount he has gained from his album sales, but mainly from ticket sales of his numerous concerts. If he maintains his current pace, major brands would come to him, seeking endorsement contracts that will significantly increase his income.
Facts About The American DJ
– Bassnectar’s major in Community Studies was born out of his desire to become an educator, but he realized that playing and creating music and being a DJ was his true vocation. He has described being a DJ as “sharing a song with someone else”.
– Bassnectar decided to adopt his current stage name after meeting a DJ who gave him a sticker. The sticker said, “Butterfly creatures drink bass nectar”. This prompted him to give himself the name under which he is currently performing, which is somehow appropriate since he makes sweet music.
– The DJ has a huge fan base on social media, where most of his fans, who call themselves the Bassheads, gather to follow his shows and watch videos of his performance. His fans have been described as a cult, as they not only listen to him for his music but are also eager to hear his thoughts on life issues.
– In 2013 Bassnectar participated in the 2013 edition of America’s best DJ. However, he didn’t make it to first place or made it to the top three because he was in fourth place.
– Lorin Ashton has decided to take a break from touring and visiting festivals. This decision was made after the Festival Deja Voom, which he hosted in 2019.